Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ski Dummy Race 2010

Well, I have mixed feelings about this one.

Last year, two of my friends and I competed in Seven Springs' ski dummy competition. It's a pretty ridiculous competition, but usually that is the only type of competition that I get myself involved in.

This year was much simpler than last. This time we didn't use a water jet, a MIG welder, or even an angle grinder. This year we built it somewhat Macgyver style. A couple feet of PVC, a few nuts and bolts, a little cardboard, and of course...duct tape. Tons of duct tape.

Last year, three of us built the dummy in about 1 1/2 days and managed to win a trophy. This year, we had a little trouble getting together because of everyone's busy schedules, so I ended up building it alone in about 12 hours. I nearly scrapped the plans of competing about five times, but my ever-supportive wife pushed me to finish it up.

Results...

1 person, 12 hours, 2 trophies. Not too shabby.

To be completely honest, it was pretty lame this year. I only had one guy competing against me. I'm still proud of the fact that my dummies have been the only ones to finish the race two years in a row.

Even though I left the competition feeling a little let down by the turnout and a little overcompensated with trophies, I'm glad that I did it again this year. Plus, we all went out for breakfast afterward again and the food was awesome. You can't beat a good breakfast day.

No comments: