Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It looks like its been about five months since I updated this thing, so I feel like I should throw something together.

Since we moved back from the absolutely wonderful state of Colorado, we've been living in our hometown and trying to figure out our next move in the so-called game of life. It turns out that our version of the game didn't come with instructions. So, its taking us a while to figure out the rules.

In the mean time, I've been keeping busy with work, a little play, and of course, more hobbies.

I've been trying to use this time of limbo to build a few furniture pieces that I've been putting off for a a while. The first of these pieces was a fun project. Two members of our family happen to have Cystic Fibrosis, which requires the use of some fairly bulky medical equipment. Unfortunately, this equipment doesn't fit inside of standard sized furniture. So, I designed a simple end table to house the equipment in between treatments, be functional during usage, and keep the equipment organized and protected at all times.

This is a picture of the end table before I put the door pull on it. The door slides back into the cabinet during its use so its not in the way. The top cabinet contains a noisy piece of equipment, which is why its enclosed, and the bottom area hold the rest of the gear.

It turned out well and it helped out my family. How can I ask for more?

The next piece was a tv stand of my dreams. Literally, I dreamt about this design one night and decided to build it. The idea came from a mixture of things.

A lot of people like traditional oak furniture. A lot of people like modern furniture. Making the transition between styles is difficult unless you get rid of everything at once and buy new things right away. This piece was meant to be a transitional piece. I'm calling it Transitional Modern. A piece built with traditional materials (oak) using a modern design (look at the picture). It's finished with a semi-transparent blue stain and has complimentary hardware.

I like it. So that's good enough for me.

The next piece is an end table built to go with the tv stand. Same style and design elements. Same opinion...I like it.

Other than those few things, I've built a few odds and ends things like a pavilion, a few coin collectors boxes, wood slat display crates, and some other things.

Up next, a classic archtop steel string jazz guitar and a ukulele. The ukulele should be done in a few days.

Once they're finished up, I'll post some pictures.

Until then....

No comments: