Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Southwestern Dinner

I wouldn't consider myself to be the greatest cook ever, but there are times when I happen to throw things in a pan and they end up tasting pretty good. Last night, I decided to try my hand at making Sonya and I a southwestern styled dinner. It turned out really well, so I thought I would share the recipe with anyone who is ever in the mood for a fairly unhealthy, unbalanced, absolutely delicious meal.

Here's the menu. It's simple and I'm pretty sure I didn't cover all of the food groups, but it was darn good. So I don't really care.

Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas and Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

I realize it sounds like I'm missing something like a side dish, but it honestly seemed perfect to us. I listed the links to the recipes that I found online. I altered my recipes just a little. I wanted to go a healthier route with the egg rolls, so I baked instead of fried. I recommend it.

Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas

Southwestern Egg Rolls

This is the "stuffing" for the egg rolls. It smelled incredible while it was cooking. I almost decided to scrap the rest of the recipe and just eat it with a spoon.

I decided against it though.




The pico de gallo was amazing. Sonya and I both really enjoyed the lime and cilantro in this. It went amazingly with the quesadillas and we found out later that it's even great alone as a dry salsa with tortilla chips.




Here is the final product. I cut the quesadilla into 8 slices and served those with the pico de gallo. I cut the egg rolls in half (at an angle so they looked nicer) and served them with a dollop of daisy.

Seriously. A spoon full of sour cream.

Instead of frying the egg rolls, I prepared them according to the recipe, then baked them at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes.

I'll definitely do this one again.

No comments: