Friday, December 5, 2008

Let's get started

I've always wanted to write a blog about something, but could never come up with the two main things necessary. Those being a) something to actually write about and b) the determination to write about it.


Today I found myself in a writing mood, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I can't guarantee that this will be the longest lived endeavor, but if nothing else, I've tried.

So here are my thoughts:

I've always had a great love for everything beer. Not in the lush sort of passion, but in the artistic creativity of it's creation and it's many unique facets. Over the past few years, I've developed, in my opinion, a very broad palate for the beverage. The more unique in flavor, aroma, and brewing process the better. I'm not much of a main stream commercial beer drinker, but I guess that's alright. I favor what is known as micro or craft beer.

Years ago, I started to homebrew and I fell in love with it. I brewed for about a year, but then made a sudden move to Florida and it was put on hold. I continued to brew there as a microbrewers assistant at a local bar in Fort Lauderdale. I have to admit that I didn't learn that much while I was there since we did more drinking than we did brewing, but that's alright because that meant that I got to try many, many new beers. Great experience. That bar is responsible for my admiration of Belgian style beers.

Once I moved back, I took a little time off, but recently got back into brewing. I can't believe it took me so long. I missed it so much.

I've brewed three batches so far since my restart and they have all been wonderful in their own way. Not just in flavor, but in experience.

I'll post a little info about each later on.

This definitely won't be a beer brewing only blog, but since it is something that I'm super excited about, I'm sure it will take up a big part.

Sonya, my fiance whom I'm sure I will talk about a lot, and I also added wine to our "do-it-yourself" list recently. Our first batch will be done just in time for Christmas and it is looking very good so far.

Like the beer, more on that later.



*currently drinking a homebrewed honey wheat ale. very proud.

No comments: